Craving Erotic Romance...

is a group blog from several sassy erotic romance authors!

Find out about our latest releases, read scintillating interviews on Mondays, beat mid-week blahs with Hump Day Help Wednesdays, and see hot hunks on Fridays. Saturdays are "Open Mike" and full of surprises! And then, there's always our guests...!



Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Healthy Hump Day

I am a big proponent of eating healthy whenever possible. Go with the veggies and unprocessed proteins every time.  I also avoid starches as much as possible and my body thanks me for it.  It’s my own version of the paleo diet and since I studied anthropology way back when it makes me happy.  So instead of posting a recepie for a decadent dessert, I am going to let you in on something else.  Kim chee.  Yes, kim chee, the fermented cabbage dish originating in Korea.  It is basically cabbage, chili, garlic, salt, vinegar and sometimes other goodies.  That’s all good-for you stuff (other than the salt). What makes is unique and even more healthy is the beneficial bacteria lactobacillus inhabiting that tasty environment.  That can make it an acquired taste (and smell) but ingesting that stuff is great for your own colonies of bacteria.  But if you like sauerkraut and can take some heat, I encourage you to give kim chee a try


Kim chee.  Yes.  It is that delicious.

Kim Chee Fried Rice, serving one enthusiast, or a couple of people as a side dish
I read about this in a Trader Joe’s flyer and decided to do it myself.  I get my kim chee at the Asian supermarket or from one of my favorite restaurants (they make their own and it is beyond delicious). All you need is some kim chee, cold cooked rice, an egg, and some chopped green onion (or scallion).
First, heat a little oil in a wok or large sauté.
Cook your egg however you like, scrambled or fried.  Cook it well done and remove to your serving plate.
Add a bit more oil to your pan if necessary and toss in some kim chee.  I love the stuff, so I usually add at least a cup, usually a cup and a half.  Saute it long enough to warm it up and then throw in some cooked rice.  Use cold cooked rice so that the grains will hold up to the sauté.  I use much less rice than kim chee because I am watching starches, but if you like rice and are uncertain of kim chee, use more.  Cook the rice with the kim chee, breaking up the clumps so that the rice grains separate and warm and are coated with all the good kim chee flavor.
At this point you can add your egg back to the mix if you want to warm it up.  I usually am so hungry at this point I just slide it all on the plate and start to eat before I put the sauté pan in the sink.  Sprinkle with the chopped scallions and eat.
I like kim chee so much that one of my goals is to make my own some day.
Next time we can talk about miso, another one of my favorite quick and healthy meals.

Kim chee fried rice. Yes. It is that delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I've never had that before. It looks like it's healthy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete