Craving Erotic Romance...

is a group blog from several sassy erotic romance authors!

Find out about our latest releases, read scintillating interviews on Mondays, beat mid-week blahs with Hump Day Help Wednesdays, and see hot hunks on Fridays. Saturdays are "Open Mike" and full of surprises! And then, there's always our guests...!



Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday's scintillating interview!


Welcome to Craving Erotic Romance Blogspot.

 

Today we’re presenting Author: Virginnia De Parte

                                              

1) Have you always wanted to be an author?

I first had the desire to write when as a new mother, surrounded by children demanding attention, my mind craved to escape to an adult world. I wrote a short story about a guardian angel who’d been demoted for ‘losing’ a client. It was published - a great thrill and financial reward, but I realised then that I hadn’t experienced enough to write seriously. I decided to wait until life had taught me a few lessons and I had more time.

 

2) What genre(s) do you write?

 I write short fiction on any subject that comes to mind from science fiction to tales with a twist. Romance has been the kindest to me. I’ve had four novellas accepted, two have been published with Secret Cravings Publishing, with another due for release with SCP in April. A fourth is due to be released this year as part of the ‘At Your Service’ anthology with Total-e-Bound, due out in May, with a further one under consideration with them at present. I’m inclined to pick a minor character from a previous book and begin another with them as the lead. This locks me into one publisher for those characters. It also means I am writing series, which I don’t set out to do at the beginning.

I also write poetry, both short versions like haiku and tanka, and longer poems. I have had many of these published and I try to use my poetry skills to enhance my fiction.

3)  Have you ever self published?

Good heavens, No. The very thought terrifies me. Who would do the cover art is the first question? What I know about formatting could be written on a matchbox.

4) Who or what inspired you to write your first book?

Several years ago I made a conscious decision to learn how to write romance, and took two courses in fiction writing and poetry. I read Charlene Harris’ series about Sookie Stackhouse and realised that romance could be fun and full of action. This set me going, knowing romances didn’t have to fit the Mills and Boon formula. (They’d declined my earlier efforts ten years ago as being too busy with too many characters and sub-plots.)

5) How many hours in a day might you write?

3 – 4 hours at the computer. Sometimes writing, sometimes doing the necessary ‘housework’ associated with being a published author. Updating my blog, contributing to this group, review requests, critiquing other authors’ work and editing my own as I receive back their comments.

6) Are you a plotter or a pantster?

A bit of both.  I like to write down a list of events and rough plot ideas, a few bare bones to hang the story on. Then I shuffle them around and come up with new lines to follow as I create the story.  Most of all I like to have a starting point to jump into the story from. After that the story tells itself, often surprising me with the turns and twists it travels.

7) Do you ever find yourself slipping away and becoming so immersed in your  story it affects how you relate to others?

No. I’m a fairly practical person. Sometimes I need to bake bread, work in the garden or take a walk and just forget about my make-believe world. I’m an avid reader, so I find immersing myself in someone else’s world great relaxation.

8) Are you in any of your books?

I don’t think so. I have a fertile imagination.

9) What do your friends and family have to say about you writing?

Most are very supportive, some utterly stunned and others dismiss it when I state “I write romance.” You can see their eyes glaze over. If this happens I tell them it’s damn hard to write a romance! I write under a non-de-plume to save my children any embarrassment, especially as my books can be erotic. (I did say at the beginning that I had to live first before I had the experience to write.)

10) Please share an excerpt from one of your books that totally spoke to you when you put the words down on paper.

From my first Sci. Fi romance: LOVE’S BRIGHT STAR

“Quickly! This way!”  He stood just out of her reach.  He extended one hand towards her, pointing towards the exit with his other. His blue eyes pleaded with hers.
“We have to hurry. This won’t last long.” God, what gorgeous eyes. What fabulous curls. The thoughts flashed through her head. With her cat sight she could see his blue aura; the colour of safety and trust.   It looked like she might escape, unscathed, after all and she reached out towards him. She opened her mouth to speak, but he cut in first.

 “I’ll explain later. We have to leave here now.” His voice, firm and reassuring, with a tone that inferred arguing would be fruitless. Grasping his outstretched hand, she hung on tightly and followed him.

In the phosphorescent lights of the club she could see that they were the only things moving, weaving their way through the colourful figures. The smell of sweaty bodies caught her nose, all her senses heightened by the tension. As they passed a mirror she glanced in and saw her eyes were wide with shock, her pupils, small black dots in green pools. They moved through silence, tangible like thick syrup.   A heaving, pulsating room, packed full of people, now a tableau of statues. She saw Anna and her friends at their table, mid sentence; mid hair flick; mid hand gesture; brilliant cocktails in hand – like a frame from a digital still.

She hesitated. No time for goodbyes.

11) Which actor/character(s) would play the starring role?

Robert Redford, despite his age and lovely weathered face, would play James in Love’s Bright Star. Nicole Kidman would make a great Siobhan.

Find Virginnia De Parte on www.virginniadeparte.blogspot.co.nz; and www.facebook.com/virginniadeparte

 


 





.

 

 

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment