Craving Erotic Romance...

is a group blog from several sassy erotic romance authors!

Find out about our latest releases, read scintillating interviews on Mondays, beat mid-week blahs with Hump Day Help Wednesdays, and see hot hunks on Fridays. Saturdays are "Open Mike" and full of surprises! And then, there's always our guests...!



Monday, January 21, 2013

an interview with Lynn Rae!


 

Welcome to Craving Erotic Romance Blogspot.

 

Today we’re presenting Author: Lynn Rae

                                               

1) Have you always wanted to be an author? I have always liked storytelling but never contemplated fiction writing until the fall of 2011.  I needed a creative outlet after some family medical crises that summer and decided to see if I had what it took to write a book.

2) What genre(s) do you write? Contemporary and Sci Fi

3)  Have you ever self published? Not yet!

4) Who or what inspired you to write your first book? My first book is Sci Fi romance with a hero and heroine who have been devoted to their work but find that they want more out of life with each other.  I like telling stories about people who take their work seriously but can’t resist the attraction that they find in the right partner.  I came up with my male protagonist when I was doing an online archival cataloging project with Civil War militia correspondence  (Morgan’s Raid in Southern Ohio for those who are interested!).  The terse dispatches and sense of honor in those letters really informed how my character looked at his world, even though his responsibilities are set far in the future.

5) How many hours in a day might you write?  In an ideal world I would write three hours a day, but I am lucky if I have an hour and a half.

6) Are you a plotter or a pantster? A combination; I write brief outlines of scenes and lots of backstory and character studies before I write, but then when I sit down to start, I just go.

7) Do you ever find yourself slipping away and becoming so immersed in your  story it affects how you relate to others? Yes, in that I can become grumpy with people who need my attention when I’d rather be writing. 

8) Are you in any of your books?  I’d say there are aspects of me in most of the characters I write but there is no fictional character that really reflects the ‘true’ me.

9) What do your friends and family have to say about you writing?  Not much, I don’t really share it with anyone!

10) Please share an excerpt from one of your books that totally spoke to you when you put the words down on paper.  This is from my upcoming March release.  The set up is that Lydia and Carter are working together to try and track down Lydia’s missing friend Mike.  It speaks to my interest in small town life, how unfair the world can be, and gives Lydia a chance to be frustrated by something. 

Lydia was pleased to have the morning paper to review as she waited for Carter in the Inn’s restaurant.  A helpful waitperson had already poured her a decent cup of coffee and she was delving into the local police report.  There had been a rampaging opossum in town last week overturning garbage cans and residing on porches until an officer of the law had captured it in a sack and taken it to the town line for release like a vagrant.  Elsewhere, a woman had reported her purse stolen from her unlocked car sometime between three and five a.m.  All this petty crime reported and nothing about Mike.  It was enough to make her angry.  There was an article about a drug raid on a trailer off of 435 and the arrest of several men.  Then Carter appeared at the table looking resplendent in shimmering pink pinpoint and her irritation morphed his way. 

“Hey Chief, why are you mad at me?  I just got here.”  And he sat down next to her and nodded agreeably when the waiter rushed up with the coffee carafe.

“Oh, was I glaring at you?  I should save it for the police, because there is nothing in this crappy paper about Mike being missing.  Instead, we have reports of wandering opossums and booty calls gone bad.”

Carter blinked at her. “What is a booty call gone bad?”

“This woman had her purse stolen out of her car between three and five am, obviously she was somewhere for a quick…’  and then Lydia trailed off, unwilling to complete that sentence with this man looking at her.

“A quick what?”  Sending a bland and innocent look her way, Carter then turned to the menu.

“Nothing.  My original point is that shouldn’t something be in the paper by now?”  The hovering waiter accepted their orders and slipped away.  Lydia was irritated enough that she wasn’t sure what she had requested.  She did remember Harris asking for extra syrup for some reason.

“Perhaps, but this sort of thing doesn’t generally go in the paper, unless the missing person is a child or a pretty young woman.”

“That’s not right.”  Lydia grumbled, frustrated by the inequity.

Carter sipped his coffee and looked at her.  “No, it isn’t right.  What do you want to do today?”

“I want to find Mike.”

 

11) Which actor/character(s) would play the starring role?  The book that SCP will be publishing in March 2013 has a feisty academic female character that Barbara Stanwyk could have played, and Randolph Scott would have been perfect to play the main male character; a handsome and charming private investigator.  You can probably guess that I watch a lot of classic movies on TCM!

 

12.  If you were a cheese, what kind would you be and why?  I would be a Stilton because it is complicated, mature, goes well with Port, and I am a fan of molds, spores, and fungi (bonus points to anyone who gets the movie reference!)

 

13.  What five things would you take on a desert island?  I am going to assume this is a tropical climate; sunscreen, Neosporin, machete, sewing kit, and a good pair of sandals.

3 comments:

  1. Wow.. I missed the movie reference. Please share! :) Also why don't you share your writing with your family? I know my sisters aren't happy with the stories but my kids (both adults) have read my stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed learning more about you Lynn and really looking forward to your new release...
    And I got the movie reference. GHOSTBUSTERS! heehee I just saw it again recently....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right, Ghostbusters it is!

    ReplyDelete